The N.C. Department of Information Technology’s IT Business Analysis team enables change that leads to operational improvements within an organization by defining needs and recommending sound strategies and solutions to reduce business risk, ensure greater project success and deliver value to stakeholders.
The Business Analysis team offers two service options:
- Direct project support
- Consultation support
What IT Business Analysis Delivers
The N.C. Department of Information Technology’s IT Business Analysis team provides direct project support in many ways. View a sample of some of the ways it engages with agencies.
- Developing detailed requirements and process analysis to address your business needs and pain points associated with products and solutions
- Supporting project initiation and planning-phase activities with:
- Business case development
- Market research and analysis (cost and capabilities)
- Requirements elicitation and documentation
- Business rules and processes creation
- Solution evaluations and assessments
- Helping you craft a solution for your business with an understanding of how the application should function to help staff do their jobs
- Assessing where duplication of efforts can be eliminated
- Helping determine the project’s cost-benefit analysis
- Creating a business requirements document that works like a contract and is used for approval and acceptance. The document shows value by aligning with the business organizational goals. This comprehensive document contains high-level business requirements, functional specifications and technical solutions that address business problems. Traceability is included to ensure what was asked for is what gets delivered.
- Creating content for a solicitation document
- Supporting procurement
For consultative services, IT business analysis support includes in-depth consultation/training in the following areas:
- IT business analysis planning (stakeholder analysis, business functions/requirement categories, etc.)
- Scoping methodology and tools
- Model usage, including context diagram and process maps
- Workshop planning
How IT Business Analysts Engage with You to Solve Problems
IT business analysts facilitate stakeholder collaboration by acting act as a bridge between businesses, technical people, project teams, product managers and vendors. IT business analysts use different methods to ensure project success, including:
- Working with business and technology stakeholders to understand and clarify the enterprise's problems and goals
- Facilitating discussions among the business, technical people and other groups, listening to determine clear and concise requirements and documenting those requirements
- Being an effective translator for technical project stakeholders
- Digging into requirements and specifications as well as gathering information to conduct data analysis
- Looking at business processes and assessing what functionality and usability the application needs to provide to the business
- Observing how users interact with an application and determining how effectively people use tools to perform better
Training & Consultation
- The IT Business Analysis Team conducts training classes for all state employees that covers business analysis tools and methods leveraged by the team. These practices are designed to align with NCDIT’s enterprise project management processes and enterprise architecture practices.
- Current classes include:
- Business Analysis Foundations Core Concepts
- Business Analysis Foundations Diagram Deep Dive
- Agile Foundations
- Lunch and Learn series and deep-dive video training courses on high-demand topics related to business analysis
- The Agile Foundations course introduces different agile frameworks and terminologies common across most frameworks. The training also covers the activities, artifacts and events of Scrum, one of the popular frameworks in use. Attendees in practically every area of business and IT can benefit from this training introducing the essential fundamentals of agile methodology.
- The IT Business Analysis team is available for office hours to provide one-on-one sessions with more in-depth training and consultation for any requesting agency, as availability allows.
- Reduce cost overruns, expensive rework and implementation delays
- Establish a clear definition of the business goals the organization is trying to achieve
- Clearly define the scope and solution requirements to achieve the desired outcomes
- Leverage proven methodologies and tools to support analysis activities
- Obtain high-level needs analysis and detailed requirements analysis
- Facilitate successful discussions and planning among all project stakeholders
- To request direct project support, submit a request using the IT Business Analysis Request Form.
- For consultative support, book a 1-hour one-on-one or small group session (one to four people).
- For questions, contact the IT Business Analysis team at BA.email@example.com.
The business owner of the project is authorized to request this service from NCDIT.
Requirements & Customer Responsibility
|Required NCDIT Services||
|Other Technical Requirements & Prerequisites||None|
|Customer Responsibility||Not available|
|Acknowledgment Time||The service team should acknowledge a service request within about 1 week.|
Turnaround time varies, depending on the complexity of the project and established project plan.
|Suggested For||State agencies|
|Support Process||For questions, contact the IT Business Analysis team at BA.firstname.lastname@example.org.|
|Service Support Hours||
Support for the service is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. weekdays, excluding state holidays.
|Standard Maintenance Windows||Not applicable|
|Service Communications||The agency's admin for this service will support communications to the agency users of the service.|
|Service Level Agreements||Not applicable|
There is no cost to the agency for this service.
Training & Help
- Business Analysis Community of Practice (access required)
- Business Analysis Foundations Training
- Agile Foundations Training
- Business Analysis Office Hours & Consultative Support