Customer Premise Network Security
The N.C. Department of Information Technology’s Customer Premise Network Security service augments N.C. Identity Management’s (NCID) functionality by providing an additional layer of network security for all who can access the network, including remote users and business partners.
A fully managed solution consisting of hardware, software and support, this service provides standards-based encryption technology, authentication, authorization and inline protection against threats from hackers, viruses and worms that attack networks and computing equipment.
NCDIT’s Network Security team manages all phases of the firewall and VPN security solution, including architectural validation, implementation, operations and ongoing configuration management. Network security analysts provide consultation and recommend security best practices to assist in establishing your desired data-asset protection security policy.
Request Customer Premise Network Security
|Support||Get Technical Support
NCDIT Service Desk: 919-754-6000
- Firewall and VPN are procured by NCDIT’s network security team and are installed, configured and supported at your site.
- Protect and/or encrypt sensitive data (e.g., credit card, medical data, personally identifiable information).
- Authenticate and authorize users according to their profiles and give them access to a pre-authorized list of agency or enterprise resources.
- Monitor network activities for malicious behavior, and block or prevent those activities.
- 24/7 centralized monitoring and management via NCDIT's Network Security Operations and Service Desk.
- Security best practices and service options consulting from network security analysts.
View a matrix of Customer Premise Network Security features by performance capacity.
See the Technical Information section on this page for more information.
- Secure your IT environment by blocking or preventing malicious network activities.
- Prices are below or within Gartner Group's Security Services market rates.
- Users who access agency or enterprise resources are trusted because of the solution’s strong authentication and authorization access restrictions.
- Cost savings and operational efficiency are achieved when authenticating and authorizing users because the solution leverages NCID’s pre-authorized list of agency and enterprise resources.
- To request this service, or for more information, submit a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal.
- You must also complete the Customer Premise Network Security Service form, and send it via email to email@example.com.
- See the Technical Information section on this page for option-specific requirements.
- Service requests that incur a cost to the agency will typically require approval from the requesting agency’s CIO, financial officer or manager, depending upon your agency's requirements.
- Any staff with access to the NCDIT Service Portal may engage the team for support or information.
Requirements & Customer Responsibility
|Required NCDIT Services||None|
|Other Technical Requirements & Prerequisites||
|Acknowledgment Time||The service team should acknowledge a service request within about 24 hours.|
|Suggested For||Any state or local government agency as well as educational institutions|
Submit a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal or contact the NCDIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000.
|Service Support Hours||
|Service Availability||The service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages and maintenance windows.|
|Standard Maintenance Windows||
Infrastructure and standard change activity:
Service-specific activity (e.g., security patch deployment, system enhancements and some system upgrades and updates):
|Service Level Agreements||NCDIT Global Service Level Agreement|
- Approved rates for this service are published in the NCDIT Rate Schedule.
- Monthly recurring charges cover NCDIT’s costs for hardware, software, maintenance and management of required equipment. Major cost drivers include the size and performance of equipment required to support your business requirements.
- Additional costs could include one-time charges for consultation and implementation.
Fully Managed Service Options
|SSL VPN Service||
The SSL VPN service option is a fully managed solution for customers whose remote or travelling users and business partners require secure remote access to a pre-authorized list of agency and enterprise resources. This service provides standards-based encryption technology, authentication and authorization of users based on their profiles.
All phases of a VPN security solution are managed, including architectural validation, implementation, operations and ongoing configuration management.
Service options include secure encrypted remote access to information protected by the firewall:
Customer responsibilities include additional customer POC responsibilities for this service option include providing VPN group administrator(s) responsible for assigning group membership to users:
|Intrusion Prevention Service (IPS) Service||
IPS provides a critical defensive layer of security for the customer's network by monitoring network activities for malicious behavior and blocking or preventing those activities. This service option is a fully managed Internet Protocol (IP) based security solution designed to provide inline protection against threats from hackers, viruses and worms that attack customer networks and computing equipment.
We manage all phases of the service, including consulting for the required policies, implementation, operations and ongoing configuration management.
Key features include:
Key benefits include:
Customer responsibilities include:
|High Availability Service||
This service option includes:
|Vendor Access Service||
This service option includes:
Customer responsibilities include:
Service components, implementation and support include:
- All hardware and software components required to deliver the security service
- NCDIT’s configured and supported firewall/VPN installed at the customer's premise
- All required activities to complete the service installation
- Consulting includes service options and security configurations
- Fully managed service
- 24/7 centralized monitoring and management via NCDIT’s Network-Security Operations and Service Desk
Training & Help
Other Related Links
Customer Premise Network Security Service Form