Strong information security requires organizations to establish tight access control to their systems and applications.
N.C. Identity Management, commonly referred to as NCID, is the state’s primary solution for access control and identity management. NCID provisions authentication and authorization for all individuals through a unified platform for managing system and application access. This is vital to the success of conducting business and delivering services for the public.
With your organization using NCID, you can feel confident in allowing state and local governments, businesses and individuals to securely log in to customer-based applications, retrieve information and access other state-owned real-time resources.
- The fault-tolerant system has redundant failover and disaster recovery capabilities.
- Flexible integration options enable agencies to provide a tailored and dynamic user experience.
- Authorization and ID management are delivered through a simplified user interface.
- Mobile-friendly experience with streamlined layout.
- User-specific screens show content based on authorization.
- Business and individual users securely create their own accounts through a self-registration process.
- Users get an email with an activation URL to easily complete registration.
- Account password and login security is delivered through convenient and secure self-administration capabilities.
- Accounts automatically lock after repeated failed attempts and are unlocked through challenge questions or temporary codes sent to the account holder’s mobile number.
- The NCID Administration Portal enables your agency to serve as the first tier of support for staff and NCID account holders.
- NCID administrators can create accounts for employees in their organization, division or section.
- NCID administrators and service desk agents can create and manage user accounts (e.g., reset a password, unlock an account). Online forms have a search feature to look up user accounts.
- NCID administrators grant user access to applications with role assignments versus a group membership model.
- NCID administrators can deactivate and reactivate users within a section of the organization to model organizational structures.
For additional details, see the Technical Information section on this page.
- Improved security through managed and compliant policy enforcement
- Simplified administration by providing a single view of the user
- Improved collaboration with internal and external entities
- Reduced total cost of ownership through task automation
To request this service, or for more information, submit a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal.
- Service requests that incur a cost to the agency will typically require approval from the requesting agency’s CIO, financial officer or manager, depending upon your agency's requirements.
- Any staff with access to the NCDIT Service Portal may engage the team for support or information.
- Approval is also required if NCID will not be used for a technical reason.
Requirements & Customer Responsibility
|Required NCDIT Services
|Other Technical Requirements & Prerequisites
|The service team should acknowledge a service request within about 24 hours.
|Any state or local government agency as well as educational institutions
|North Carolina state agencies
|Service Support Hours
|Support for the service is available 24/7.
|The service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages and maintenance windows.
|Standard Maintenance Windows
|Service Level Agreements
NCID is an efficient and effective enterprise tool that secures access to online services. You can leverage the service to:
- Manage user accounts
- Verify the identity of individual users
- Assign appropriate access to online resources
- Delegate authority and distribute administrative tasks
- Automate certain key functions
|Authorization & ID Management
|Secure Account Creation
|Enhanced Administrator Features
|Efficient Workflow Process & Search Features
|Password & Login Security
|Convenient & Secure Self-Service Tools