Wireless Local Area Network
The N.C. Department of Information Technology’s wireless local area network service extends the local area network of your agency's facility to wireless devices. Employees with wireless devices and proper security privileges can use your agency’s WLAN wherever they are in the building. Authorized guests are granted guest access privileges, which only provide internet access.
NCDIT’s network operations team provides design, implementation, remote monitoring and management of a customer's WLAN infrastructure from NCDIT’s network operations center. During the design phase, the team determines the number and location of access points based on coverage and wireless device counts to provide optimum speed and access.
A WLAN includes IEEE 802.11-compliant wireless access points that communicate through the air with wireless network interface cards in laptops and other wireless devices. As a shared technology, a WLAN offers no guarantee of consistent bandwidth or performance.
Request Wireless Local Area Network
|Support||Get Technical Support
NCDIT Service Desk: 919-754-6000
- A fully managed service that meets state security standards and policies
- Includes all the hardware and software components required for WLAN service
- WLAN deployment tailored to your agency’s individual requirements for coverage and security
- Based on ITIL methodologies for incident, problem, change, configuration and release management processes
- 24/7 support via the NCDIT Service Desk and Incident Management Center
- Routine maintenance of the infrastructure, resulting in optimum network performance and stability
- Proactive WLAN performance management and troubleshooting, including performance alerts on such items as bandwidth, configuration, RF coverage and interference
- Remote troubleshooting of wireless performance issues
- Network monitoring and fault management
- Configuration management and archive
- Performance and availability management
- Support for two types of wireless users in compliance with statewide IT security policies and standards:
- Secured users (such as employees and contractors)
- Non-secured users (such as guests with only internet access)
- Improved productivity with authorized users connected to critical business information wherever they are in an agency's office building
- Enhanced collaboration through sharing information in conference rooms or wherever users are
- Increased user productivity from a fully managed service that ensures network reliability
- Optimized network performance through services based on business needs identified during the design consultation and network assessment
To request this service, complete the WLAN Service Request Form and submit it using the NCDIT Service Portal.
- Service requests that incur a cost to the agency will typically require approval from the requesting agency’s CIO, financial officer or manager, depending upon your agency's requirements.
- Any staff with access to the NCDIT Service Portal may engage the team for support or information.
Requirements & Customer Responsibility
|Required NCDIT Services|
|Other Technical Requirements & Prerequisites||Each customer location must meet NCDIT minimum standards, including documentation, wiring, power, HVAC, access and security.|
|Acknowledgment Time||The service team should acknowledge a service request within about 2-3 business days.|
|Suggested For||Any state or local government agency as well as educational institutions|
|Required For||NCDIT optimized agencies|
Submit a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal or contact the NCDIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000.
|Service Support Hours||Support for the service is available 24/7.|
|Service Availability||The service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages and maintenance windows.|
|Standard Maintenance Windows||
|Service Level Agreements||Wireless Local Area Network Service Level Agreement|
- Approved rates for this service are published in the NCDIT Rate Schedule.
- One charge per month is based on the number of access points.
Training & Help