The N.C. Department of Information Technology's Cloud Services is an enterprise service that provides a security-compliant, standardized approach to deploying cloud infrastructure as well as managing infrastructure operations. Cloud providers are Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform and Microsoft Azure.
Cloud Services offers two services:
- NCDIT Managed Service
- Customer-Managed and Proof-of-Concept Service
As you consider migrating applications to a cloud environment, the NCDIT Cloud Services team helps you determine if adopting a cloud approach is your best option. The team reviews your design, assesses your security posture and gathers all the information necessary to help you decide.
Once you have determined a cloud scenario that is the best option for your organization, the team provisions the environment and then operates the infrastructure on your behalf, helping to maintain a secure environment based on industry standards and any applicable compliance requirements.
- NCDIT’s Managed Service provides a fully managed environment. You can use the self-service tool to provision cloud resources or request that NCDIT provision resources on your behalf.
- The Customer-Managed Service provides a fully managed networking and security infrastructure. You have direct access to the cloud portal to provision and manage resources, such as compute and storage within your environments.
- NCDIT Cloud Services has established contracts with Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform, which saves you time and effort managing this activity.
- NCDIT's cloud security architecture ensures a highly secure environment that helps you meet various compliance requirements. This architecture also provides all your connectivity requirements.
- Cloud Services unburdens you from provisioning and managing infrastructure, so you can focus on your applications.
- Billing for Cloud Services is included in the monthly billing that agencies already receive, and the cloud vendor and service codes are categorized to make it easy to identify the cloud charges.
- Usage-based cost models provide savings for short-lived use cases and development footprints.
- A cloud presence with properly designed applications can provide a more cost-effective environment than in-house deployments.
- Direct Connect for AWS Cloud optimizes system performance, which enables high-throughput network connectivity between the state’s network and NCDIT’s cloud providers.
- Cloud Services extends the functionality of the state data centers and network by seamlessly integrating legacy systems with multiple clouds.
- Capacity of cloud resources can be easily expanded to meet demand.
To request this service, complete the following forms and submit them with a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal:
- Cloud Services Onboarding Form
- Network Architecture Diagram
- Network Security Request Form
- Exception Form B - Standards
- Exception Form C - Security
- Service requests that incur a cost to the agency will typically require approval from the requesting agency’s CIO, financial officer or manager, depending upon your agency's requirements.
- Any staff with access to the NCDIT Service Portal may engage the team for support or information.
Requirements & Customer Responsibility
|Required NCDIT Services||N.C. Identity Management (NCID)|
|Other Technical Requirements & Prerequisites||
Pre-requisites for provisioning include:
For the NCDIT Managed Service, customers must also provide specifications for servers and/or storage.
|Customer Responsibility||Ensure that appropriate subject matter experts are available for security and design review sessions.|
|Acknowledgment Time||The service team should acknowledge a service request within 24 hours after receiving the onboarding form.|
|Turnaround Time||The Cloud Services team typically reviews the request and schedules a security and design review session within 2-3 days after the customer completes the pre-requisites for provisioning.|
|Suggested For||Any state or local government agency as well as educational institutions|
|Service Support Hours||Support for the service is available 24/7.|
|Service Availability||The service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages and maintenance windows.|
|Standard Maintenance Windows||
|Service Level Agreements||NCDIT Global Service Level Agreement|
- Approved rates for this service are published in the NCDIT Rate Schedule.
- Additional costs include the cloud service provider charges for monthly consumption.