The N.C. Department of Information Technology’s Digital Solutions team supports state agencies, boards and commissions by providing:
- The Digital Commons website development platform
- Best practices for presenting digital content
Based on the Drupal content management system, the Digital Commons platform provides functionality with a similar look and user experience across all state agency, board and commission websites. Organizations using this platform gain a secure, accessible and mobile-friendly interface that simplifies the process of updating content without requiring web coding skills.
Website development assistance includes:
- A project plan containing scope, schedule and milestones
- Sample internal communications project update plan to help those building the website keep their audiences informed
- Collaborative website development planning workshops
- Best practices for website development and features
- Training and advice on how to build a new website
- Guidance to assess current content and decide what should be transferred to a new site
- Data dashboards development support
- Search engine optimization support
- Lifetime technical support and training
- A common look and feel to state websites help the public quickly find the information they are seeking.
- Responsive design enables websites to be easily accessed and automatically rendered on mobile devices.
- Using the state’s VPN connection allows authorized users to update website information from the field.
- The Digital Commons platform incorporates strong security and federally mandated Section 508 accessibility compliance standards and best practices recommended in the latest Web Content Accessibility Guidelines from the World Wide Web Consortium. Digital Solutions aims to fulfill the success criteria of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 Level AA (WCAG 2.0 AA).
To request this service, or for more information, submit a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal.
Please contact the service team for more information.
Requirements & Customer Responsibility
|Required NCDIT Services
|Other Technical Requirements & Prerequisites
|The service team should acknowledge a service request within about 2 business days.
|Turnaround time varies, depending on the complexity of the project.
|Any state agency, board or commission
|Submit a ticket using the NCDIT Service Portal or contact the NCDIT Service Desk at 919-754-6000.
|Service Support Hours
|Support for the service is available 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays.
|The service is available 24/7, excluding planned outages and maintenance windows.
|Standard Maintenance Windows
|Thursdays: 6-8 p.m.
|Service Level Agreements
|Digital Commons Service Level Agreement
There is no cost to the agency for this service. Costs, however, may apply for custom development.